Saturday 18 May 2013

The six-minute walk test (6MWT)


Measurement of exercise capacity is an integral element in assessment of patients with cardiopulmonary disease. The 6-min walk test (6MWT) provides information regarding functional capacity, response to therapy and prognosis across a range of chronic cardiopulmonary conditions. A distance less than 350 m is associated with increased mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic heart failure and pulmonary arterial hypertension.

source: PubMed

You can find a very brief explanation of the 6MWT here.

In addition, some very useful guidelines on how to perform the test are here.

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete