Monday 11 May 2015

BMI calculator wrongly labelling thousands as obese, research shows, plus BMI and Spinal Cord Injuries


The BMI calculator used in the public health system to measure obesity rates is highly flawed and could be slapping a false fat label on thousands of Australians, new research has highlighted.

A study into the size and shape of women aged 18-44 has found that almost one-third of participants were miscalculated as obese using the BMI calculator alone, highlighting the need for body measurements, percentage body fat and muscle mass to be introduced into testing.

Read the rest.

Your waist measurement compares closely with your body mass index (BMI), and is often seen as a better way of checking your risk of developing a chronic disease.


Measuring the waist circumference in people with a SCI should be done in supine position.

Being overweight is a common problem for people with spinal cord injury (SCI). Some research shows that two out of three people with SCI are overweight. Excess weight gained after SCI is difficult to lose, and it is hard to maintain weight over time and avoid putting on extra pounds. In part this is due to a reduced ability to move freely. The higher the injury, the more difficult it is to move, stay active, and exercise. A person with a cervical SCI will have more difficulty moving compared to someone with SCI in the lower spine. The same is true for the completeness of an injury. A person with an incomplete injury who is able to walk will likely burn more calories than a person who has a complete injury and uses a wheelchair full time.


A review of body mass index and waist circumference as markers of obesity and coronary heart disease risk in persons with chronic spinal cord injury.


Waist circumference is the best index for obesity-related cardiovascular disease risk in individuals with spinal cord injury.

4 comments:

  1. I am Doctor Paul I got effected with HIV in the process of attending to my HIV patient I tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HIV virus, at first I doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when I contact this herbalist via his email blessedlovetemple@gmail.com and he prepared a HIV herbal cure and sent it to me via fed-ex delivery company service, when I received this herbal cure, he gave me step by directions on how to apply it, when I applied it as instructed, I was totally cured of this deadly disease within 5 days of usage, I am now free from the deadly disease called HIV, all thanks to Dr Mark. Contact this great herbal spell caster. Kindly contact him. (blessedlovetemple@gmail.com)
    he cure all kinds of sickness or diseases such as: 1. HERPES VIRUS 2. LASSA FEVER 3. GONORRHEA 4. HIV/AID
    Thanks Dr Mark for saving my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a great herbal man called Dr voodoo who can cure Hepatitis B virus and other deadly diseases with the use of natural herbs to cure Hepatitis B virus problems. He is from Africa and he is a great doctor and he can also cure you as well if you are have the problem And other deadly disease and here is email address voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348140120719 HERPES CURE,CANCER CURE,HIV/AIDS CURE,HPV CURE

    ReplyDelete